WHY WORK WITH ME? My superpower is taking complex information and distilling it down to accessible, readable prose to convey the right message, whether it’s for entertainment, teaching, marketing, or providing valuable content. I help hone your ideas into an organized, readable form, whether it’s a blog post, longform think piece, or book.
- Published writer. My work has appeared in print and online in various publications, including Glamour, Mothering, Mother.ly, Kitchens & Baths, literary magazines, and books. I’ve written about a range of topics, including the writing process, health & wellness topics, finance, parenting, personal essays, and more. My fiction and essays have been published in online and print magazines.
- Proven experience working with clients.
- Podcast notes: The Entrepreneur Ethos
- Blog posts: Sparxo, Falcon Scientific Editing
- Curricular materials: I taught writing and literature courses for 18 years at SUNY Albany, College of Saint Rose, and Berkshire Community College. I also wrote curricular materials for Six Red Marbles and informational articles for an EBSCO literature reference.
- Fiction and memoir critiques and editing.
- Professional experience. My work experience has included working in book publishing, governmental communications, marketing & PR for nonprofits and businesses, and publications management and copyediting for a professional association.
- Commitment and dedication. I strive to deliver high-quality work in a timely manner at a reasonable cost.
- Click here to read Testimonials.
I’ve spent my life reading, writing, and learning how to best put words together on the page. I have the fortune of being blessed with parents and teachers who have encouraged me – ever since my “published” first story in Mrs. Daunhauer’s second-grade class at H.W. Smith Elementary in Syracuse, NY. Over the years I’ve written stories, essays, articles, screenplays, plays, novels, and poems. I received a B.A. in English literature from the Binghamton University, SUNY, taking creative workshops as well. I worked for nearly three years at The Feminist Press in the editorial department, where I learned about the book publishing process and the basics of acquisition, developmental editing and copyediting. While working I pursued a graduate degree, starting at Hunter College CUNY, then moving to the University at Albany, SUNY, where I earned a PhD. For my dissertation I wrote a novel about the aftermath of a young woman’s suicide on her friends, including an introduction that focused on my deep interest in the connections between writing and healing. Along the way and since then I’ve published stories, articles and essays in a variety of publications.
Here are just a few of the types of projects I can do for you:
- beta reading (through my comprehensive critique)
- content marketing and strategy
- developmental editing
- elearning courses
- social media
- textbook supplements
Sound up your alley? Let’s talk.
Please contact me at alyssa AT alyssabcolton.com